Wealth and Human Nature

According to Oxfam the richest 1% of the people in the world own about as much as the remaining 99%. This is the kind of figure of which we have to be suspicious – as King Hal asked his men when he was told how far the French were at Agincourt “Who has measured the ground?”. The research may be inaccurate mainly because measuring the value of all the assets in the world is an impossible task. Continue reading

Evolution and inter species dependency

There are two separate processes in nature. One is an evolutionary process in which animals evolve into better animals more adapted to the environment in which they live. Darwin’s idea was of the origin of species by means of natural selection, which was not only the title of his greatest work but also his own summary of how he saw things were happening. His idea is sometimes called “the survival of the fittest” but that name fails to emphasise the way in which the fittest become the fittest by a natural selection of those with the features that are most adaptive. Continue reading

Our Desires and Wants

Do we have enough? We all seem to desire so many material things; we want so much without suffering from want. Our desires do us much harm; the accumulation of possessions harm us and harm our environment. One way of getting enough is to accumulate more and more. Continue reading

The Climate Change Debate

There is always a debate about climate change. Sometimes the debate is loud and vigorous. At other times the debate is hard to hear above the alarums and excursions that are part of our lives in a rapidly changing economic world. There are two separate questions to the climate change debate. Traditionally these two questions are expressed simply for mass consumption in the press, radio and television as:-

  1. Is the climate changing at all?
  2. If it is changing what are the causes of the change? Continue reading

Climate change and evolution

There have been three more snippets of news recently which add to our knowledge of actual climate change, but not directly necessarily to why the climate is changing so rapidly. Continue reading