It is almost shirtsleeve weather in London. The quiet interregnum between Christmas and New Year is usually a time of cold dark days, but this year has been warm and bright in London.
Soon the media will start their reviews of 2015, and tell us who did what, who succeeded, who failed and who died. These reviews seem to avoid the trends which are becoming more prevalent. Most of these trends move in undesirable directions. Here are some examples:
- The trend of police everywhere to be more ready to use weapons and more ready to use violence in circumstances that do not require it.
- The trend of governments everywhere to be more authoritarian and less liberal.
- The trend of joining wars because “something must be done” without bothering to think whether doing something as opposed to doing nothing will make things worse.
- The trend of lawmakers to enact new laws, bad laws detailed laws which wrongly regulate the lives of people.
- The trend of cowardice, which in all kinds of ways, is displacing courage.
- The trend of promoting law, at the expense of justice.