In the ten years since the new millennium global land mean temperatures have barely increased but even so the decade was the warmest for both land and sea temperatures, although the rate of temperature rise seems to have declined when compared with the rate of the previous decade. The last decade saw climate extremes and weather extremes that were greater than ever recorded.
- There were more heat waves and more people died from heat waves
- The decade was the second wettest since 1901
- Sea levels rose at the rate of 3mm per annum,
- There was a record decline in Arctic sea ice
- Every year of the decade except 2008 was among the 10 warmest on record
- Most countries had their warmest decade in 2001-2010.
- No country reported a nationwide average decadal temperature cooler than the long term average
- Throughout most of the decade the sun has been at its solar minimum, when temperatures would normally decline.