I have always thought it right and proper that public money is spent on supporting individual renewable energy systems. I could write pages on why it is right and proper to do so but I expect many readers will want me to cut straight to the chase and explain the solar water heating grants that are available to those who want to help save the planet and save some of the money that they will spend anyway on energy by installing a solar water heating system.
At the time of writing this post – February 2010 – in England and Wales people can get a one off payment of £400 towards their solar system. There are a few special local authority plans where the £400 can be topped up but generally for most the £400 is the maximum grant available.
However, the grants are changing so if you have purchased a solar system after 19th July 2009 you can surrender your old grant and get a new feed in tariff. You do not need to do anything until 11th April 2011, so if you buy a solar system now you can get the £400, and then next year repay it and get a new feed in tariff.
A new grant system is planned to come in force on 11th April 2011 based on “feed in tariffs”. These new feed in tariffs will apply even to small scale domestic thermal solar installations even though the heat our technology provides will not be measured and fed into a grid from small installations. The feed in tariff will be based upon a deemed amount of heat that a system will generate.
Nothing has yet been finalised about feed in tariffs for solar water heating systems yet but this is what is likely to be the position from April 2011, based upon the information that the Government has so far released:-
A new residential feed in tariff will be paid to the house owner every year
- The amount likely to be paid is going to be between £200 pa and £400 pa. But the actual figure has not yet been set.
- If the householder takes up the new feed in payments any previous grant (usually the £400) will have to be repaid.
- The grants cannot be claimed until April 2011 but from that date they can be claimed for all systems installed after 15 July 2009.
- The annual payment will be made to the house owner for twenty years.
- Genersys will hold the Genersys 20 year Guarantee documentation for water heating systems where the customer and the installer have sent them into to us, so do make sure, if you have a Genersys system, that you have sent in your guarantee documents because if necessary we can assist customers in proving their entitlement to the new feed in tariff, which will likely be worth quite a lot of money to them.
We live in uncertain times now and it is possible (although in my judgment not likely) that the solar water heating feed in tariff will not come into force. I think that this is unlikely because the funding has already been collected by adding additional amounts to everyone’s energy bill. However, if you buy a solar system now you can collect the £400, no matter what happens in the future and if feed in tariffs roll through, you can by repaying the £400, access your feed in tariff entitlement.
To secure your grant, talk to your local Genersys installer or contact Genersys at 0207 637 9708 and we will find an installer near you.